Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Update!



Stephanie is doing a lot better. She is home in Logan now. They found out that she has Helicobacter pylori or in short H-pylori. It is a stomach bacteria that she thought she got rid of a year ago. With the Hyperemesis Gravidarum that she has with her pregnancy and the H-pylori combined it has caused the extreme vomiting and excruciating stomach pain. They have been giving her a couple different antibiotics and they seem to be helping the stomach pain a lot. However, one of the antibiotics is very thick and we have to put them through her feeding tube. We have to water it down a lot but it still clogged her tube 5 times in the last 8 days and each time she had to get a new feeding tube. Her poor nose and throat were just bleeding all day Monday because of all the trauma caused from the new tubes. We talked with the doctors and they have taken her off that particular antibiotic for the time being. With the stomach pain decreasing it has also helped the nausea a little. She is still in pain, but it is bearable. She still has nausea, but it is also bearable. We are hoping that she will be able to hold down liquids soon and then we will start on food. Yesterday she had some ice-chips and did not throw them up so we are hopeful. We had an ultrasound yesterday and now we are 100% certain. It IS A BOY!! WU HUUUUUUUUU!

7 comments:

Scottie and Tasha said...

Congrats on a little man!!!! How exciting. I know all about H-Pylori... i work for the GI department at the U. If you ever want a second opinion or anything let me know. I work with AMAZING docs there and my favorite isn't taking new patients but I am her secretary so I can get you in... let me know if you ever need anything! Congrats again and I'm glad you're feeling better!

Scottie and Tasha said...

Oh, I forgot the doc I work for is Kathryn Peterson... and she has done so much research on H-Pylori and girls out age... I know because she always signs me up for her studies :) Seriously, if you need anything give me a call. Tues has my number or email me at scottandtasha@gmail.com

Lindsay said...

I am so happy to hear that you are doing better. My offer still stands to come up to Logan if you need anything, please call me. Congrats on having a boy, that is so exciting. Do you have any names in mind yet??

Anonymous said...

Steph...You told me you were feeling better but it is just exciting to read it on the blog! I am really so happy that things are looking up and also that you are having a boy! They are the best!

Unknown said...

Yeah. Congrats on the boy! Boys are the sweetest. You guys are going to love it. Now after these guys are born we are going to have to get together so they can all play! Hope mommy gets better soon!

Chad and Amy Hatfield said...

I am so sorry that you've had such a struggle. It makes me feel guilty for complaining about my "easy" pregnancies. I hope things improve so you can enjoy this time. Congratulations on the boy...man they're everywhere now! Just don't let Scott brainwash him. :)

Olson Family said...

Hey Scott and Steph,
I found your blog through Ben and Tuesdee. Congrats on the boy. I wish I could get one of those. I hope the pregnancy goes fast for you. Glad things are looking better.

Love, sara